About the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Band
LAP-BAND® is the least invasive option for bariatric surgery. It is placed using tools called laparoscopes that allow Dr. Naim to perform surgery without making large incisions. Instead, he makes several small incisions in the abdomen. Through these incisions, he can insert the laparoscope, which projects images from inside the abdomen onto a monitor. Using special tools, Dr. Naim will place a hollow, inflatable band around the upper portion of the stomach to create the pouch. The band connects to an access port under the skin. The port allows Dr. Naim to periodically adjust the gastric band by inflating or deflating it with saline.
LAP-BAND® can help you reach your weight loss goals if you have a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher (35 if you have another serious health problem related to obesity), and you have not been able to lose weight through serious attempts at diet and exercise. When patients overcome chronic obesity, they can improve or resolve serious health conditions including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and obstructive sleep apnea. Benefits specific of LAP-BAND® include:
- As a minimally invasive laparoscopic procedure, LAP-BAND® surgery is performed on an outpatient basis and generally takes less than an hour.
- Recovery takes only about one week, and patients experience less discomfort during recovery than with traditional surgery.
- Unlike sleeve gastrectomy and gastric bypass surgery, there is no removal or rerouting of any part of the stomach or intestines.
- Though LAP-BAND® is designed to be a long-term treatment, it can be removed, if necessary.
- LAP-BAND® can be customized and modified to accommodate changes in nutritional needs (such as with pregnancy).
- If you met specific requirements, medical insurance usually covers the full or partial cost of LAP-BAND® surgery.
As with any surgery, it is important to weigh the benefits of LAP-BAND® surgery against potential risks and complications. Dr. Naim is available to explain how these relate to your individual case. As with any surgery, you can minimize your risks by choosing an excellent surgeon.
Dr. Naim is committed to helping all his patients find the weight loss solution that works for them. If you are interested in the LAP-BAND® procedure, please schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Naim.