Factors That Affect LAP-BAND® Candidacy
Surgical procedures have allowed countless patients struggling with obesity to lead happier, healthier lives. If you are considering LAP-BAND®, you will need to determine if you are an appropriate candidate for this type of surgery. When you come to Advance Bariatric Center, you will speak with Dr. H. Joseph Naim about your options to determine which procedure is best-suited to your condition, goals, and lifestyle. To learn more about LAP-BAND® candidacy, contact our Long Beach, CA, office and schedule a consultation today.
What Sets LAP-BAND® Apart
LAP-BAND® is an adjustable gastric banding system that helps you lose weight by restricting the number of calories you are able to consume. While other bariatric surgeries involve the removal or manipulation of your digestive tissues, LAP-BAND® is different. With LAP-BAND®, a band is placed around a portion of your stomach, decreasing its size and restricting the amount of food it can hold. After it is placed around your stomach, LAP-BAND® is adjusted via a small control port that is placed just beneath your skin. This port controls the size of the band, which will ultimately change the size of your stomach. LAP-BAND® is the only weight-loss surgery we offer that is reversible.
Important Candidacy Considerations
It is important to note that different insurance policies have unique qualifications which approve patients for coverage of the LAP-BAND® procedure. Good candidates for LAP-BAND® should generally meet several criteria:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Not drink alcohol or use drugs regularly or in excess
- Have seriously tried to lose weight with dietary restrictions and regular exercise
- Be prepared to make very drastic lifestyle and dietary changes after surgery
- Not be pregnant or planning to become pregnant
- Be at least 30 pounds overweight with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Have a BMI of 30 or higher, in addition to a comorbid condition that is worsened by your obesity
You should also be free of diseases or conditions that could become worsened by LAP-BAND® or cause serious complications during your surgery. You will provide a full medical history to Dr. Naim to guard against these risks.
Other Bariatric Surgery Options
If Dr. Naim finds that LAP-BAND® is not right for you, he may suggest an alternative surgical solution. He may recommend:
- Gastric Bypass Surgery - For this type of bariatric procedure, Dr. Naim physically removes a portion of the stomach and reroutes the digestive system. This surgery both limits the amount of food you can consume and reduces the number of calories your body can absorb from the food you eat.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy - Sleeve gastrectomy also involves the removal of a portion of your stomach. Dr. Naim will carefully remove a vertical section of your stomach, but it does not involve the rerouting of your digestive system. Like LAP-BAND®, it works through restriction and reduces the amount of food you can comfortably eat.
In addition to bariatric surgery, Dr. Naim also offers tummy tuck surgery for patients after they have lost weight. Also known as abdominoplasty, this surgery removes excess stomach skin that remains after substantial weight loss.
Learn More During an Appointment
If you are ready to lead a fitter, healthier lifestyle, take the first step. To learn more about your candidacy for LAP-BAND®, schedule an appointment at Advance Bariatric Center today.